Up to the creation of the present Mohri Garden
Creation of the garden for a feudal lord's manor during the Edo period
The history of the garden can be traced back nearly 350 years to the Edo period.
In 1650, Hidemoto Mohri, the grandson of Motonari Mohri, became protector of the province of Kai and constructed an estate in Azabu Higakubo (currently Azabu 6-chome). This marked the creation of the garden.
Later on, after the kira raid in 1702,ten of the ronin（masterless samurai）were incarcerated in Mohri's mansion (the 47 loyal masterless samurai who chose to avenge their lord’s death) including Yasoemon Okajima (divided between the Hosokawa, Mohri, Matsudaira, and Mizuno families). After fulfilling their mission, the 47 ronin died honorable deaths by seppuku in February of the following year.
Maresuke Nogi, who later became an army general during the Meiji period, was born in 1849, the third son of Maretsugu Nogi, at the family's samurai manor in the Chofu domain. Maresuke Nogi lived here for 9 years of his childhood at the Higakubo estate.
In 1865, Sagami Hotta received the Higakubo estate.
Meiji to Taisho eras: Land acquired by Rokuichiro Masujima
Times changed, and Rokuichiro Masujima (1857-1948), lawyer, legal scholar, doctor of laws, and founder of Chuo University in 1887, acquired the property for his own home and named the garden the "Houkien".
In April 1919, the garden was appropriated as an historical site (currently a Metropolitan Tokyo historical site) as the "Birthplace of General Nogi."
Showa era: Acquired by Nikka Whisky and TV Asahi
In March 1943, it was designated as a historical site (currently Metropolitan Tokyo historical site) as the remains of the Kaino Mohri estate. In March 1952, Nikka Whisky built its Tokyo plant on this location. The site was acquired by TV Asahi in 1977. The pond became known as Nikka Pond.
Today: The Mohri Garden created as a redevelopment project
The Roppongi 6-Chome District Urban Redevelopment Union was established in 1998, and work began on redeveloping the area in April 2000. Roppongi Hills opened in April 2003. The garden was reborn as the Mohri Garden.
Garden History Timeline
|Keian era (1648-1652)||Hidemoto Mohri became the protector of the province of Kaino and constructed an estate in Azabu Higakubo (currently Azabu 6-chome). This marked the creation of the garden as a feudal estate.|
|December 1702||Attack of the 47 ronin|
|1849||Maresuke Nogi was born at the Higakubo estate.|
|1865||Sagami Hotta received the Higakubo estate.|
Meiji and Taisho periods
|1887||Rokuichiro Masujima acquired the property.|
|April 1919||Appropriated as an historical site (currently a Metropolitan Tokyo historical site), as the birthplace of General Nogi.|
Showa and Heisei periods
|March 1943||Designated as a historical site (currently Metropolitan Tokyo historical site) as the remains of the Kaino Mohri estate.|
|1952||Became Nikka Whisky's Tokyo distillery.|
|1977||TV Asahi acquired the land.|
|1986||Tokyo Prefecture designated the Roppongi 6-chome district as a redevelopment district.|
|1990||Preparations were started for a future Redevelopment Union.|
|1995||Tokyo Prefecture Urban Planning Notice
(Redevelopment District Plan, Type 1 Urban Redevelopment Project, etc. )
|1998||The Roppongi 6-Chome District Urban Redevelopment Union was established.|
|April 2000||Started construction.|
|April 2003||Roppongi Hills opened, and Mohri Garden was born.|
Roppongi Hills recommended information
Japan exhibition of building: Of the gene bring
Mori Art Museum
The Weekly Jump exhibition VOL.2-1990 generation of the 50th anniversary of the foundation of a periodical, shock of 6,530,000 copies of circulations―
Mori Arts Center Gallery
Limited item, limited menu of the 15th anniversary of the Roppongi Hills
Each Roppongi Hills shops
Mother's Day of Roppongi Hills
Each Roppongi Hills shops